Friday, February 19, 2016

Montjuic Castle

Yesterday I met up with my friend and Spanish teacher, Noelia, at Montjuic Castle.





Montjuic means "Jew mountain," and this area used to be a Jewish cemetary.  The artifacts here include a tombstone from the 1300's.


Over time, it was used more and more as a military site, because it has a commanding view of Barcelona.



Here is the port the castle overlooks.


The gull wasn't impressed with the height of the walls, but I was.



These are the parade grounds inside.




The brass field piece is actually a sculpture that works as a sundial.




The guns at Montjuic have been used to bombard Barcelona on several occasions.


I don't think they always waited the entire 50 years.

What gunner wouldn't be tempted?



When I visit a historic site, one of my favorite things to do is to imagine myself in the midst of history as it was happening.  That's not a pleasant thing to do at Montjuic.



In the end, there's not much to see at Montjuic Castle except the view.