Thursday, March 3, 2016

Tarragona Cathedral

The cathedral at Tarragona dates to 1154, though the site already had a lot of history by then.  It was a Roman temple, Visigoth church, and Moorish mosque before taking its present form.








Here are some views from inside.





This glass dome is near the center of the church.



Sometimes beautiful things are under your feet.




 These floors remind me of some pieces of modern art.

I love these strong images.




The last is in honor of the Immaculate Conception.  Here is a wider view that I find very appropriate.




The closer I looked, the more strange things I found.







I can't explain why these images and symbols are here, but this cathedral has an abundance of them.

The cloister is quite beautiful.




And also full of odd images.  While I was taking pics, an older gentleman spontaneously volunteered to show us some of the lesser known parts of the cathedral.



The first thing he pointed out was this.




 It's mice holding a funeral procession for the cat they have executed.

He also pointed out this corner sculpture with multiple faces depending on which angle the viewer takes.





 Then he brought us inside the cathedral again, not in the main section, but in some of the other rooms.  This gorgeous ceiling was discovered by accident during renovations.



This crucifix is so graphic than it's only displayed in one of the less public areas of the church.



 My favorite images, though, were of the angel Michael, in glorious action.  This one is in the main church.



And this amazing statue is in one of the other rooms.





We visited many cathedrals on this trip, and saw some inspiring art and some items I think are unusual, and even odd at times, but the cathedral in Tarragona is in a class of its own.

I think to end this post, I'll let the cathedral speak for itself.